Sun, 28 Aug|
Fungi and Foraging Course~Sunday 28th August
On this Fungi and Foraging course you will be introduced to abundant wild edibles of the season, exploring magical woodland and hedgerow habitats around Whittle Dene near Ovingham, Northumberland.
Time & Location
28 Aug 2022, 11:30 BST – 29 Aug 2022, 15:30 BST
Whittle Dene, Whittle Dene
About the event
Your experienced guides will introduce you to the fascinating world of fungi as well as a range of plants and trees that can provide delicious food and potent medicine at this time of year. We’ll go wild for weeds and learn poisonous lookalikes as we tread lightly and respectfully through an ancient landscape. Folktales and plant lore will be woven throughout.
The day includes:
- an introduction to the practice of foraging including sustainability & ethics
- an introduction to identifying and foraging for mushrooms
- how to safely identify a range of wild edible plants with confidence
- methods of preparing wild ingredients to create delicious drinks and food
- the nutritional & medicinal benefits of the plants and fungi we find
- the folklore and history associated with the plants we discover
- lots of tasty food and drink samples. Our tutors will invite you to engage all of your senses as they offer you wild snacks and drinks along the way.
You will be guided by:
- Leonie Morris - qualified Bushcraft Instructor & Wild Food Teacher
- Sophie Wren - Wild food experimenter & proud member of the Association of Foragers
Leonie and Sophie teach regular seasonal courses in the north of England, and are excited to be collaborating with Whittle Dene CIC and The Woodland Trust to bring their expertise to Northumberland. Their courses are renowned for the warm welcome, the enthusiasm, and all of the wild food snacks and drinks participants are offered to try along the way.
The cost for the course is £40/ £60 depending on income. This includes expert tuition, a range of wild food and drink samples, information sheets about the plants & fungi we find, and a number of simple recipes for you to try at home.
Bring your own packed lunch; we will stop to eat half way through the course, at which time your tutors will also prepare some wild food tasters over a campfire.
Please note that the meeting point for this course is roughly 20 minutes walk from parking facilities and local transport connections. The ground is steep and uneven in places. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any access requirements or if you have any other questions.
If a booking is cancelled more than one month before the course date: a full refund will be given. If the booking is cancelled within a month of the course date: a refund will only be given if Whittle Dene CIC are able to fill the place/ places on the course. Should we be unable to fill the places on the course, we cannot offer a refund.